If you have, then this article is for you. There’s a rumor that the upcoming version 3.0 will contain an array of powerful features such as tag-related improvements. But no one knows the release date. So why wait? Simply download the latest source code to compile OmegaT yourself!
Note: This procedure is for Windows users. All file and folder paths are examples only. Replace them as appropriate. I also recommend doing it on a computer other than your “production” machine.
Since OmegaT is written in Java, JDK is required to compile it.
- Download and install JDK, e.g. to c:Program FilesJavajdk1.7.0_21.
- Open the command prompt and run:
set JAVA_HOME=c:Program FilesJavajdk1.7.0_21
This is required to switch the regular JRE to JDK.
Ant is a program designed to build Java applications from the source code.
- Download ant from apache.org.
- Unzip to c:Program Filesapache-ant-1.9.0.
Getting and building from the source code
- Go to the OmegaT’s source code page.
- Click Download Snapshot.
- Wait until SourceForge generates a source code snapshot and save it to a temporary location.
- Unzip it. You’ll get omegat-svn-XXXX.tmp.
- Unzip this TMP file as well. It includes three folders, but you only need the trunk folder. Unzip it to c:Program FilesOmegaTtrunk.
- In the command prompt, run:
cd c:Program FilesOmegaTtrunk
“C:Program Filesapache-ant-1.9.0binant” jar release
- Watch for any errors. If you get any and can’t resolve them, feel free to post them in the comments here.
- The program will be compiled in the c:Program FilesOmegaTtrunkdist subfolder. To run it, run OmegaT.jar. You can also copy OmegaT.exe and OmegaT.l4J.ini from the installation folder to this folder and launch OmegaT.exe.
A useful resource on this topic is Marc Prior’s article about compiling OmegaT from the source code, which also includes a few examples of making changes to the source code to customize the program.
And why would you want to build OmegaT from the source code? Perhaps, you like to have certain things your way? Do tell us in the comments!