Russian Editing and Quality Assurance Services
Bilingual translation editing, also called translation revision or review is a separate service that you buy when you have a translation made by someone else and want a third party to make sure it is 100% correct. As a side note, when you buytranslation from us, it already includes bilingual editing (except for the low-end translation rates).
Bilingual editing serves several purposes in terms of quality:
- Translators do not notice a certain percentage of errors in their own translations. Having four eyes on each translation is therefore critical if you want top quality. This is a requirement of the EN 15038 translation standard.
- If you do not know the target language, you cannot understand whether the translation you receive is correct or not. If there are major problems, we will alert you immediately, so that you can have your translation vendor improve the translation free-of-charge.
- For critical subject areas, such as medical, legal, or financial translation, errors are absolutely unacceptable. You definitely want additional translation quality assurance in these cases, to have the peace of mind that patients will not suffer or business opportunities will not be lost as a result of translation errors.
- If you are unhappy with the quality of the translation you bought from another translation agency, editing may be a cost-efficient alternative to retranslating from scratch. Please note though that not all subpar translations are suitable for editing. Sometimes, throwing a poor translation away and redoing is really your best option. You do not have to worry about this at all, though, because we will analyze the translation and tell you exactly what you should do.
Scope of editing
Because editing requires taking full responsibility for the translation, we check translations for all kinds of errors:
- First and foremost, we compare the translation against the original to make sure it is free from mistranslations, omissions, and inaccuracies.
- We check consistency of terminology and longer phrases.
- We correct any spelling, punctuation, and grammar mistakes.
- IMPORTANT: We check style and accuracy of terminology, but we do not make major corrections in these two areas, because they are beyond the scope of editing. We let you know about such issues instead, so that you can either ask your translation vendor to improve the translation or have it retranslated.
- It is best to provide bilingual files for editing. We will edit them in the translation program OmegaT or their native application if necessary.
- If you do not have bilingual files available, you can ask your translation vendor to provide a translation memory together with the translated files. This will make it easier for us to do a better job.
- For better editing, we will use automated QA programs such as Verifika to detect various kind of errors, including inconsistencies.
- The rate is 30 to 50% of the rate we would charge for translating the same text.
- The rate may vary depending on the subject area, content type, and quality of the translation.
Do not wait until it is too late—order editing today!